The Beauty of Baby's Breath

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine
When I do not have cake orders, I like to make 'dummy cakes' to bring to life all the different ideas I have in my head because I am always thinking of cake. I am a graphic designer and illustrator 'by day' so I take a lot from all the graphic design I'm always observing and I like to translate it into cake. 


Here is a recent example of idea turned reality... the non-traditional blue baby's breath cake:




Another example of my influences is fashion. LOVE it. I used to flex my fashion muscle in my work wardrobe. But, now that I work from home... I translate my interest in fashion to design of my cake. 

For instance, one day while perusing the InStyle magazine, I came across this page:



I loved these lines and this color palette is classic. So, I pulled the sailor-esque stripes from the skirt and the scribbled, artistic influence of the dress and came up with this...



Blue hand painted, loose stripes! Nautical with an artistic, organic touch. 

So, if you are planning on getting a cake and you are trying to decide what it should look like, look to such things as fabrics, fashion and design for your influences! Or, just contact me. ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment