The Way Things Work

Like This!

Had a great meeting tonight with another local small-business owner: Jenny of Jenny Beck Photography. She is a fabulous and fun portrait photographer in Columbus and meeting with her was a breath of fresh air. 


It's an interesting thing... operating a small business. Everyone does it differently and there never seems to be a clear answer on how to do it right - no matter how many books or blogs you read. I find it a cruel irony that creative minds usually have to be their own boss. All this business is getting me into a creative funk. But, it was nice to hear from a someone in a similar position. Trading book titles and blog links... how-to's and what-not-to-do's. 


I'm curious to know about other small-business owners out there. Columbus or otherwise. Cakes or not cakes... how do you things? What are your questions? What's your advice? 


My two tips are not cake-specific so hopefully you all may find them useful. They are two very resourceful books: 


      Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion
      Crush It! By Gary Vaynerchuk  
Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines (Graphic Artists Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines)
Pricing and Ethical Guidelines by the Graphic Artists Guild


If you are an illustrator or a graphic designer... the book on the right is ESPECIALLY helpful. I highly recommend.



So... now I thought I'd share with you more about my process, specifically. What to expect when your expecting a cake from me!

Step One: Contact me by phone (614.314.3628) or e-mail (cotscolumbus@gmail.com)


Step Two: Tell me what you want AND what you are willing to spend. (They don't always match up at first so it's my job to fix that!)

Step Three: Based on our conversation, I draw up sketches for different cake designs in various prices ranges.


Step Four: After you decide which option is best for you... I send you an order confirmation and before you know it, your finished cake is ready!


Ta-Daaa! So friends, now you know... This is the way I work. I hope it works for you.

___________________

FaceTweet it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment